January 27, 2012

$8 for four days of food

Okay, so I got my refund from Netflix, and I now have $8 to feed myself for four days.  The classic 5 dollar week is a dozen eggs, a gallon of milk, and a loaf of bread.  A gallon of milk is $2.50, a loaf of bread is $1, and a dozen eggs is $1.50.  Not enough for three meals a day for a week, but definately good enough for breakfast and lunch.  Two eggs a day for six days, skip breakfast on the 6th day, plenty of toast and milk.  It's not a bad way to eat.  You'd think I'd loose some weight at some point, but nah.  So for eight dollars I get the bread, milk and eggs, and then I have an extra three dollars left.  With that, I could get a jar of peanut butter which is surprisingly high in calories or a box of ramen, but UGH!  Maybe some mac and cheese.  As far as produce goes, I may be able to get some potatoes and an onion to add baked potatoes to my list of things that I can make or maybe I could skip the bread and eggs and think of making a good soup that'll last me a few days.  I made split pea last time and it was okay and really cheap, though I'd have to invest $3 or so into ham pieces.  Same with potato soup. What else could I make that's incredibly cheap?  I just looked up "ultra cheap meals" and came up with some ideas.  Maybe a good cream of mushroom or cream of broccoli soup.  Hmm, that sounds good.  For $3, I could make a soup, easy.  Well, we'll see what I come up with.

No comments: