November 25, 2005

Susie's getting married!
Can you believe it, our little susie's getting married! I'm so happy for her.
Growing up, it was always me, Sue and Christina. We were cousins and friends. Or maybe not, maybe I'm idealizing it. The point is: growing up, I always wondered what would happen when we were all grown up. And now it's happened. But as happy as I am for Sue, for some reason I'm confronting my own mortality. Something that seemed like it would never happen, has finally happened.
Not that I never thought Sue would get married, but when we were kids playing in grandma's huge back yard, playing with toys in the back of Grandpa's pickup on the way to adventures unknown, or (not so long ago) jumping around on rocks, by a roaring river trying not to kill our selves in the pursuit of adventure, being adults seemed like it would never happen. Back in the days when being a kid was just being a kid, there was no pressure to grow up, there was no reason to believe that the pure innocence would ever end. Now Sue's getting married, and any faint hopes of immortality die with Sue's marriage.
But Sue chose right, not that it's my place to judge, but it's my blog and I can do what I want. I know she'll be happy forever and I'm truly happy for her in a completely unselfish way that I've never really felt. Maybe my hedonistic, self centered personality is finally starting to clear, giving way to the person I truly am.
Or not?

No comments: