July 02, 2008

Sex, babies, raising families, it all seems so primal. It's like if we're doing this and animals are doing this too, then maybe we aren't as special as we like to think. It seems wrong and unnatural to me, like death and birth. If humans have to go through all the same stuff that animals are going through, what makes us so special? I don't know why, but realizing all that we have in common with animals and the rest of life makes me feel uneasy. I say it's all so primal, but it's really because I'm scared. Because if humans have this much in common with the animals then maybe we aren't that special. And lately I've been deluding myself into thinking that something like God might exist (you notice, I capitalize it for the first time ever in this blog.) But if we have this much in common with the animals, then it makes sense that death is the same for all species too. So if we know that animals don't have an after life, then we should also know that there is no life after death for humans either. So the reason love, sex, babies, raising families, and all that stuff that we have in common with the animals makes me uneasy is because it actually reminds me of my own mortality which I've promised myself not to think about again until I'm 30. Interesting, I'm not sure where that leaves me except thinking about death instead of life and birth. But it was a fun train of thought to follow. I wonder if this will make sense in the morning?

No comments: